Sunday, April 17, 2011

Papas con rajas

My husband can't eat any dairy and we are vegetarian, so one my favorite things to make for him when I want to cook mexican is papas con rajas a.k.a. potatoes with peppers. This is yummy enough to keep him happy while the rest of us eat cheesy goodness. It can be used as  filling for enchiladas, quesadillas, arepas, and much more. You simply boil some small potatoes with the skins on. Peel while still warm. Add some olive oil, salt, and pepper and mash slightly. Then skin some roasted peppers, chop fine, and stir into potatoes. The mixture is best when just mixed, you aren't going for mashed potatoes, you need to leave it a little toothsome. It keeps for about a week in the refrigerator. Any leftovers are sure to get made into a midnight quesadilla at some point.

- Note we buy a half bushel of roasted hot peppers at the end of summer every year and freeze them in small ziplock bags for use throughout the dry season. I just keep a bag in the fridge at all times and clean them and chop them as needed. They really taste yummy in everything but dessert.

For this meal I also sauteed a zucchini in a little oil with salt and pepper, and I chopped up a handful of spinach. Now I can make seven different types of enchiladas. Not just the papas con rajas and the cheese enchiladas I sneak spinach into for my kids, but also cheese and papas, cheese and zucchini, zucchini and spinach, zucchini and papas, and spinach and papas. I don't recommend just spinach or just zucchini. 


Potatoes, peppers, oil, salt, pepper

peel potatoes while hot


add salt, pepper, oil, and mash slightly

add chopped peppers

mix until just combined

time to assemble

fill tortillas

make sure to mix and match

I add a little on top to keep track

cover with small amount of sauce and bake

serve with more sauce, sour cream, and onions and cilantro
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment