Sunday, July 24, 2011

Yummy rice

This rice was not originally named yummy rice. This is the name my kids gave to it the very first time I made it. Needless to say that when we make this, all plates are cleaned. You can make this with leftover takeout rice if you keep the other ingredients on hand, but since we are a party of five, we make rice from scratch every time. We like leftovers for lunch the next day.

The original recipe is from issue No. 11 of the Diner Journal, and Diner is hands down our favorite restaurant in NYC. That was where we went when we wanted a good meal that felt special without feeling extra fancy. Sure we ate at fancier places like Le Bernardin, Danube(RIP), Babbo, blah blah blah, but we always came back to Diner. Now I have always disliked fried rice and I have a thing about egg in dishes. It is always too much and everything tastes like eggs, but given that this recipe was from one of my favorite places, I gave it a try. I was not disappointed. I have modified the recipe to our tastes. I use peanut oil instead of olive oil, which makes things taste yummier, I gently set the eggs and fold them in so that everything doesn't taste egg-y, and I also add some asian inspired seasonings.


one pot of rice, one bunch of scallions chopped, and a boatload of toasted sesame seeds,
you can't see but there is probably 1/4 cup there

plus eggs, peanut oil, sugar, ume plum vinegar, and soy

I add the soy, vinegar, and sugar before the rice is done to help it infuse

once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a large non-stick skillet
and fry it in peanut oil to develop super crunch,
you need to turn it on medium and walk away,
come back in 7 minutes flip in sections, walk away again,
don't sit there and stir it, that won't work

once you achieve crunch add eggs to center and let set

then I add the scallions and sesame seeds on top of the eggs

I fold everything in gently till the egg is cooked thru - see egg bits are both yellow and white

serve as-is or with a healthy dollop of sambal


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment