Sunday, July 17, 2011

Collards

I spent about four years of which were formative in North Carolina. My mom was able to get a break on college tuition because her dad was in the army there, or something like that. So we pulled up stake and lived in North Carolina from the time I was 5 until I was 9. It had a profound impact on me. I hate mosquitoes, humidity, and antebellum architecture. I love collards, hush puppies, and vinegary anything.

We have lots of family there since all my grandfather's side basically came over on the mayflower and built the town of greenville. I spent most of my non-school time with my great-grandmother while my mom was working or going to school. My great-grandmother grew up during the depression and so she cooked and canned all her food from her garden, her crab pots, the pigs they used to have, and anything else she could find. This recipe is my best recollection of what her collards tasted like. Except no fatback. Sorry Anmommy.

the basics

chop your onions and garlic

this is how to stem greens, hold the stem firmly

grab the leaf with a closed fist and pull off in a quick sweep

voila!

chop the smaller part of the stems, compost the thick part

saute stems in butter and oil with onions and garlic till softened

now how to quickly cut greens, stack 'em up and fold 'em

if they are thick you roll them

then a swift cut down the center and three chops on the bias and you are done

toss in the pot with vinegar, a little salt, and some red pepper flakes if you like the spice

cook until collards turn dark green, then let sit covered at least 10 minutes

enjoy with hot sauce

Go Tarheels!

No comments:

Post a Comment