Sunday, August 25, 2013

Bread and butter pickles

These are my all time favorite pickles ever.

I have eaten them as long as I can remember. Three years ago I finally found a recipe that reminds of the ones my anmommy used to make. They are so yummy and thankfully husband doesn't like sweet pickles so I only have to worry about the kids finding them. And I am even remembering to post the recipe when pickling cucumbers are actually in season.

They aren't as sweet as regular sweet pickles, just mildly sweetened with lots of spice and vinegar. They are great chopped into salads and sauces or on veggie burgers or just eaten by the spoonful. Even my nephew agreed and wanted to sit down and eat the whole jar I brought to his house. The hardest part will be waiting a month or two for them to be ready.

cucumbers, onions, vinegar,sugar, salt, whole pepper, mustard, and tumeric

take the tips off the cucumbers to avoid softening

thick slice the cucumbers (using a wavy cutter this year)

soak slices in brine overnight

the next day: drain and rinse the cucumber slices

prepare the vinegar sugar mix and heat until sugar is dissolved completely

thinly slice the onion and coarsely grind the peppercorns, mustard, and tumeric

add it to the hot vinegar/sugar solution

then stir in the cucumber slices off heat

sterilize the jars and lids

pack jars with mix to 1/2 inch of rim

process in a hot water bath

let sit at least a month then enjoy all year

I can't wait to open one.

No comments:

Post a Comment