Sunday, May 6, 2012

Vegan cheese sauce

This is my new favorite food to have  stocked in the fridge. We have made this four times now and the kids love it (shhh they don't know it isn't cheese and it is mostly healthy). We have used it on pasta for macaroni and cheese, on baked potatoes with broccoli, in my cheesy baked quinoa recipe, and with some poblanos and salsa for nacho dip. Usually I make two dinners, one with cheese for us, and one without for hubby, but since this stuff is so scrumptious, I am just using this now for all things that use cheese sauce.

The recipe is from Rich Roll and his wife Julie Piatt and here is their video with the full instructions.The first time I made this I halved the recipe and again the second time. By the third time I was making it in two weeks time I realized I just needed to make the full recipe. It keeps well in the refrigerator, you just have to reheat it, and the nacho dip is an easy late night snack that I now love.

cashews, lemon, garlic, miso, oil, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and soy milk

heat your soy and oil, I was out of soy and subbed water, which was fine just not as rich

blend your cashews to fine powder, but not butter

add your nutritional yeast, garlic, salt and pepper and blend well

add hot liquid while running

then add lemon juice

and miso and process until creamy

half for dinner tonight, half for later

Oh so good I could eat it with a spoon. Oh wait I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment