Sunday, July 22, 2012

Avocado and mango salad

This is one of our favorite salads to eat in the summer. It is a simple salad of avocado, mango, mint, citrus, and salt. Some people make this as a salsa and use cilantro and hot peppers, but we like to just eat it straight and keep it mild. This, however, was one of those ghost in the machine moments. I actually took a picture of the pre-prep with the fruit, mint, oil, salt, etc. I remember seeing it when reviewing the pictures on my camera, but when I downloaded my pictures it wasn't there. I imagine the picture is lost in the space time continuum and will turn up one day.

For prepping the mango I peel and remove one half and leave the skin on the back half as it is slippery and it is easier to hold onto it with the skin on and then with just the seed on the second side. For the avocado I cut them in half and remove the seed by gently lifting it with the knife. I know lots of people recommend giving the seed a gentle whack with the knife and it will come right out. I do not recommend this. I did this once and the seed split in half the knife went through the avocado and skin like butter right into my palm. It wasn't deep, but it wasn't fun. So now I gently remove the seed.

finely chop your mint

halve, seed, and score your avocados

use a spoon to scoop out the chunks

add a little salt and a squirt of  lemon or lime in between layers to help keep the avocado green

for the mango, cut to the seed around the widest part

peel the first half then score into sections

use your knife to cut the sections away from the seed, then peel and repeat on the back half

add a little oil to help keep the avocado and mango separated

toss in your mint and add more salt/citrus to taste

and serve to the hungry munchkins who barely let you finish making the salad

Ideally I would let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving, but my kids won't let that happen if they know I am making it. Avocado and mango are two of their favorite foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment