Sunday, December 11, 2011

Zucchini pasta

This is one of my simple dinners. In the summer I tend to have zucchini in my crisper at all times. I actually made this in the late fall, hence the winter squash, but the zucchini only had to travel from california, not too far. This comes together with minimal effort even though there are a few separate pots involved. I used my garlic confit, but minced garlic will work also. I tend to use dried pasta at least twice a month. We love the campanelle shape as sauce just clings to it and it is super toothsome as I have said before. The winter squash is just a supporting flavor to balance. The main flavor will be the zucchini and tomatoes. Feel free to sub any other vegetable you like instead of the squash, but only one and only a small amount. This shouldn't become a vegetable medley, just keep it simple and it will taste simple and good.

pasta, zucchini, tomatoes, squash, garlic, onion, salt, oil, pepper flakes

chop your zucchini and onion into equal sizes

saute in oil with a dash of pepper on medium until they start to brown, do not add salt

mash garlic with the squash over medium heat

add canned tomatoes, pepper flakes, and simmer until the tomatoes break down

add tomato/squash mix to the zucchini and now salt to taste

stir in boiled pasta and taste again for salt balance, dress with more oil if needed

serve with capers for vegans, parmesan for vegetarians

As they say in lidia's house 'tutti a tavola a mangiare'!