Monday, September 16, 2013

Tabbouleh

One thing on top of another keeps me from cooking and therefore posting. We are moving which is crazy enough, but we also happen to live in Boulder which just flooded. We were spared by the floods but have lots of people we know affected. It has been a few very strange days.

I love tabbouleh but I only love it fresh because of the tomatoes. If it the tomatoes get soft, I don't like it. I tend to avoid it in my falafels because the tomatoes are rarely fresh. So when we got tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, and parsley in our CSA I knew I was making this. One thing when cooking the bulgur wheat, I always use more water than needed and drain the excess off since it is served room temperature. It makes sure the bulgur cooks through since it has to cool anyways. The lemon cucumbers don't need to be peeled since their skin isn't thick like a hothouse cucumber.

bulgur, onion, tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, lemon, oil, salt, and optional hot pepper

boil your water then add the bulgur

turn off the heat and let sit 20 minutes

meanwhile, chop your onions and cucumbers

fine chop your parsley

I added a medium hot red pepper to this batch

dice your tomatoes

drain your bulgur and let cool

mix your veggies and parsley and douse with lemon juice

stir in cooled bulgur and a generous amount of olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

serve with pita, hummus, and greens

Now to make homemade pita!

No comments:

Post a Comment