Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Frijoles

This is another recipe from Savoring Mexico by Marilyn Tausend. I really mean it when I say the book is awesome, all the recipes are excellent. I make these every other month in a big batch and freeze them in jars that are the perfect family serving size. We use them for burrito night, to make refried beans, or to just be a yummy side to some other type of mexican deliciousness. My husband is always so happy when he sees me soaking pinto beans.

I grew up in southern california and have a love for all things mexican. Pinatas, jarritos, lucha libre, family style, you name it, I love it. I moved from cali to nyc and suddenly realized how bad mexican food can be. I had to use my taste memory to teach myself how to cook mexican in order to be able to eat anything worthwhile, this is where the cookbook came in. A lot of things I could do once I figured out the basic ingredients and methodology. Now not all mexican in nyc is bad, the red hook ball fields are a bastion of ex-calis looking for a fix, and the chinese/mex mash up is rather delicious, but not authentic. Anywho, I digress, these beans are a foundation and they are a staple to have on hand far better than anything in a can.

simple ingredients

soak beans overnight - WITH SALT!

bring to simmer in a pot and skim off initial foam

add oil, chopped onions, cumin, and chipotle en adobo

simmer for a long time - read all day on the back burner

secret sauce alert, about an hour or so before serving add a whole bunch of fresh epazote

cook until leaves are just about to fall apart, drain juices back into beans

serve as burritos, sides, etc

freeze the rest for later

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment