Sunday, August 11, 2013

Red flannel hash

This is basically a recipe for hash with beets for color. Hence the name red flannel with the beets and potatoes making up the colors. If you want to make regular hash, omit the beets. For this recipe most of the potatoes I used were actually pink so the flannel effect didn't come through, but I didn't realize they were pink inside until I peeled them.

It is pretty easy to make but takes awhile since you want your beets and potatoes to get crunchy. The easiest way to do this is to walk out of the kitchen. If I stay in the kitchen I tend to stir too often and it takes longer. I just need to leave, water the garden, read some email, etc and my nose will tell me when to flip them.

I made this recipe with veggie patties but you can use any veggie smeat. You can omit this altogether and it is still super yummy.

beets, potatoes, onions, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and veggie sausage

boil your beets and potatoes

drain and peel them

roughly chop

then start the potatoes first in lots of oil and salt

chop your onions and mince your garlic

add onions/beets/garlic on top of the potatoes without stirring for a few minutes

fry up the veggie patties

rough chop the patties and some chives I decided to throw in

add veggie patties, more salt, and pepper, then stir, and walk away - flip once after a crust is formed on bottom

stir in chives at the end and break up clumps, taste for more salt and pepper if needed

serve with the condiments of your choice

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment