Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chocolate cake (vegan/gf)

This is a vegan, gluten free chocolate cake that I made on the fly based on my gluten free pumpkin bread. It came out pretty good. Next time I might try less buckwheat and more oat flour. I tend to avoid rice flour in GF baking as I find the taste slightly bitter and the texture grainy. No one else notices it but me, but I don't like it, so I don't use it. I also used pumpkin in this recipe as a moisture maker, similar to using beets, but not as sweet. I like to use a little cinnamon to help balance the strong flavor of the buckwheat flour. This version was a little dry, which I thought I had fixed, but apparently not well enough.

oat and buckwheat flour, sugar, corn starch, vanilla, oil, chocolate, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin

mix your dry ingredients except the sugar

and mix your wet

add sugar to wet ingredients

then add dry

add coconut milk as it is too lumpy (but use more than I did)

pour into 'floured' pan - I use my dry mix to 'flour' the pan

bake until springy

frost once with frosting and let dry

and frost again

The rest of the cake is featured in the other chocolate cake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment