Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tomato gratin

This is a close second to tomato soup for my oldest. He loves tomatoes any which way. This way is actually my favorite. I originally found the recipe in food and wine, but over the years I have modified it so much that it really isn't the same. That is how you learn to cook. Don't just follow along, but experiment and change things to suit your tastes. The recipe is just a guide, the final product is what tastes good to you. That is different for everyone. This is also easy to make earlier in the day and then re-heat in the broiling step before serving.

tomatoes, onions, garlic, butter, oil, salt, pepper, and habaneros (not pictured, thanks computer)

I just really love this picture

peel your tomatoes

melt butter in olive oil and soften onions

add tomatoes, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook down into sauce

remove children's tomatoes and then add diced habeneros or jalapenos if you can't find them

top with grated cheese or just plain for hubby and broil until bubbly

serve with veggie dogs, veggie nuggets, fresh bread...

Honestly my favorite way to eat bowls and bowls of tomatoes. We rarely have leftovers.