Monday, June 3, 2013

Blueberry rhubarb jam

I made a ton of jam the other day since organic fruit was on sale and I will post the recipes over the next few weeks. This is the first time I have made blueberry rhubarb jam and it is good. Blueberry jam is usually too sweet for me, but putting rhubarb in helped balance the flavor. Also because they are both naturally high in pectin, I didn't use any pectin and the jam set almost solid. This jam is so good that it will go into permanent rotation for my yearly jam making.

blueberries, rhubarb, lemon, sugar

rinse your berries and chop your rhubarb

add lemon and sugar (1/4 - 1/2 cup per cup of fruit depending on preference)

stir together well

and simmer for about an hour

then blend to desired consistency (well with rhubarb so there are no strings)

stir in cinnamon and simmer down at least an inch

pour into sterile jars

and water process for 20 minutes +adjustment for altitude

store for use all year

I really did sing bob marley the whole time in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment