Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dried chile salsa

This is my new favorite winter salsa. I may have canned up a bunch of salsa verde and those will still be loved as chilaquiles, but this salsa is now my go to for everything else. It is so yummy and complex without being overly spicy. That and it is super simple to make. I like mine made almost entirely with orange juice, but husband does not, so I split the difference and do 60 oj 40 water.

mixed dried red chiles, onions, garlic, salt, oj, and lime

heat orange juice and water in a large pot to just under a simmer

dry roast all your chiles on a cast iron skillet until puffy on both sides

add them to the oj/water mix and roast your onions and garlic

let the chiles soak at least an hour

take your tops off the chiles to help them soak up more liquid

deseed the chiles into the water and put the skins in a bowl

drain the seeds out and save the chile water

add back the seeded chiles, the onions, garlic, salt, and the juice of one lime

blend until smoothish

taste and adjust salt/lime as needed

enjoy on everything
I mean everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment