Monday, May 6, 2013

Dandelion syrup

Last year I decided to start using all the dandelions that pop up in our yard. I know they are 'weeds' but they do help the soil and they provide some of the first nectar for bees and ants and other early spring insects. I read all these great recipes on punk domestics, so this year I am making some of them.

This syrup is way better than I imagined it to be, it is delicate and floral and delicious. I used this recipe as a guide but didn't follow the measurements, because if you know me, you know I rarely measure anything. Mine is much darker than shown since we use unbleached sugar, but it didn't affect the delicious taste. We have been eating it mixed with yogurt and berries, you can add some to hot water for a sweet herbal tea, it is going so fast, I will need to make more soon.

pick dandelions in the morning

rinse gently

the work is in separating the petals from the flowerhead

squeeze and twist the green bottom

then pull out the petals

fill pot with boiling water

let sit overnight

drain and strain well

add lots of sugar and simmer on low until desired syrupy-ness (6hrs for this batch)

store in refrigerator

and enjoy where sweet is needed

Enjoy deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment