Sunday, November 11, 2012

Salsa verde (for canning)

I already have a salsa verde recipe posted, but that is a fresh salsa only recipe. This year since we had such an abundance of tomatillos and the most prolific jalapeno plant I have ever seen, I decided to can some salsa. I had to modify the recipe for canning and I had been adjusting my recipe slightly over the season when I was making fresh salsa. If you want a milder salsa, you can always tone down the jalapenos.

Since I was canning (ie cooking) this version I threw in garlic which my husband can't eat raw and I omitted cilantro which loses flavor if you cook it for long periods. Please look up proportions for vinegar in order to properly can this, it is all relative to the weight of the tomatillos. The vinegar not only allows for safe canning, but it also help maintain the flavors of the salsa. Don't use vinegar in fresh salsa, it will taste crazy, but when you are canning the flavor mellows out and makes your food safe.


my prolific plant - 40 jalapenos still on the plant and I have picked a ton already

tomatillos, roasted peppers, onion, jalapenos, garlic, lime, oil, and salt

peel and just simmer your tomatillos - don't cook them, just bring them up to simmer and turn off

peel and seed your roasted peppers, chop your onions, garlic, and jalapenos

add chopped onions, garlic, jalapenos, salt, cumin, roasted peppers, and lime juice to tomatillos

blend until relatively smooth

now taste and see if you need more salt or lime before you add the vinegar


then add vinegar

bring up to a simmer

hot pack into sterilized jars

can for recipe time adjusted for altitude
store for use until next summers bounty

I love salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment