Thursday, March 20, 2014

Soda bread

The next few recipes are all going to be St. Patrick's Day related, only because I remembered to document when I was making food that day. The first up is the classic soda bread. We like our soda bread sweet and with raisins. The first time I made it, I used currants which is more traditional, but my kids hated them. So now we just use raisins.

I followed a basic recipe by Ina Garten, but did not use orange zest, used raisins instead of currants, coconut milk instead of dairy, coconut oil instead of butter, and I added way more raisins and a bit more sugar than the recipe called for. It was super yummy.

Next time I will make it into two loaves so it cooks even faster. In our new house the oven tends to make breads super crusty, so cutting the baking time should help. That is why you put an X in the bread by the way, to help heat reach the inside and the bread to rise since it is a no yeast bread.

If you want to make it vegan, just add a 1/4 cup more coconut milk and a dash more baking soda.

flour, milk, raisins, salt, sugar, baking soda, coconut oil, and an egg

mix some flour and sugar into your raisins

mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking soda

cut in coconut oil, or shortening, or butter

make a well and add wet ingredients: egg and milk

mix well, it will be wet-ish, then gently stir in raisins

form into a round and mark with a deep X

bake in a moderate oven until it sounds hollow

serve with other yummy foodstuff

Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment