Sunday, April 15, 2012

Golden curry

I have been experimenting with my slow cooker and my go to recipes. It is nice to be able to make something we love to eat and not have to tend it. Golden curry is a good one for the crockpot, the vegetables are supposed to be well cooked, the curry gets fully incorporated into everything and the flavors are all yummy together. Maybe one day I will make my own curry, but for now I buy the japanese curry cubes from my local asian market. Because we have kids we get the mild curry, before kids we bought the hot cubes. I did not have any mock duck (wheat gluten in a can) on hand, which goes really well in this dish, but next time I will make sure. Also daikon is a must for this dish.

You can serve this with rice or noodles. We happen to have had rice the past two nights, so I went for noodles. If you do use rice, cook it separately not in the curry like the noodles. I pre-heat my crockpot on high with oil in it to saute the onions first. It works pretty well to set them so they don't fall apart. This recipe is a stick to your ribs recipe good for cold days or hungry boys.

fresh frozen hubbard, daikon, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, oil, salt, stock, and curry cubes

peel and cube your potatoes, chop everything else

saute chopped onions and garlic in oil (ie put in for 10 minutes)

stir in potatoes and let cook a few minutes

then add carrots, daikon, and curry cubes

fill to top with water or stock, add salt and let cook at least 6 hours

5 minutes before serving add noodles

they will cook fairly fast,

serve as is or with grilled tofu

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment