Monday, October 8, 2012

Tomato yum

This is a hybrid of the tomato jam we made last year and tomato paste. We had a 5lb bag of tomato seconds from our CSA, not enough for sauce, but enough for paste. It turned out really yummy, hence the name and I have used 3 cubes already. This is another recipe I left the skins on for to use as much tomato as possible. I cook this down in the slow cooker since it will burn very easily once it starts to thicken. I have three kids and I never get to the kitchen to stir often enough and have learned the hard way that the slow cooker is the way to go for me. If you want you can cook it down on the stove, it will be much faster, but you have to be attentive to stirring.

tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, sugar, vinegar, lemon, salt, cinnamon, anise, and chiles

chop onions and garlic

saute in a good amount of oil

core and rough chop the tomatoes

throw in the pot with the spices, salt, sugar, and vinegar

let simmer for an hour or two

remove chiles, anise, and cinnamon stick

then blend, blend, blend

run through a chinois to remove last of the skins

then I move to the slow cooker to cook down to paste

freeze into cubes

and use all year long (though I don't think I made enough)

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment