Monday, December 10, 2012

Eggplant pasta

This is the third time I have posted some version of this pasta recipe, but I keep changing it up each time. This version uses lots of garlic to complement the eggplant with a fresh made tomato sauce. I used a whole large head of garlic, half sliced, half minced. It makes a difference in the flavor depending on how you cut the garlic. I like a little of both to get the most garlicky-garlic flavor.

I made this with the last of our summer tomatoes that have been ripening in newspaper in the garage. They are surprisingly tasty even though they were picked green. I used my basil that I dried in salt this fall. It is almost all the way dry and added a pretty good amount of basil flavor.

I also used the last two eggplants from our super yummy eggplant plant. I have been nurturing this plant in our mudroom to keep the eggplants growing long enough that I can save seeds. Except that when we went to Hawaii the house sitter watered the plants and made sure they were covered if it dipped below freezing but they didn't really notice the massive aphid infestation that happened. The poor plant was a goner and the eggplants weren't quite ready but they weren't getting any nutrients anymore so I had to pick them. They were still good, but not as good as they could have been, but hey I was able to finally go to Hawaii so it really isn't a huge loss.

eggplant, tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper

evenly chop your onions and eggplant then saute in oil until just browning

while that cooks, rough chop your tomatoes and half slice/half mince your garlic

stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant

then add the tomatoes and some salt

remember you dried basil in salt this year

I have two jars like this, and it is pretty tasty preserved this way

let it all cook together a bit, then season with salt and pepper to taste,
add a splash of lemon a few minutes before it is done

remove basil and stir in pasta to finish cooking

serve with hot pepper flakes and parmesan if desired

Viva la pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment