Sunday, August 7, 2011

CSA week 11

This week everyone got pickling cucumbers, potatoes, and onions. I picked kale over collards or chard (strange I know, but change is good). I picked green beans over squash blossoms or broccoli, carrots over beets, and cauliflower over zucchini only because we haven't had cauliflower yet and we all know what a late summer monster zucchini is. I wish we would get some tomatoes. The bigger shares get cherry tomatoes and my boys would love them right now since ours are not quite ripe yet. I do really wish we had some fruit, but that is the way with a CSA. You get what you get as the season allows. I know it could be much worse and I have heard stories of much, much worse, whole fields gone and nothing for anyone.

time to start pickling


What I made: Kale chips (see I had my reasons), super quick pickles, super sweet carrots in bellies, sauteed beans with butter and salt, gnocchi, onions and potatoes for later, grilled cauliflower 'steaks'

No comments:

Post a Comment